Sunday 15 May 2016

Captain America: Civil War Spoiler Discussion


Hello again, everybody.  Today we're doing things a little differently. Because I had so much to talk about with Civil War, I ended up doing a video to see how that process would go versus a written version. So here it is, my thoughts on Captain America: Civil War.






As a side note, there were a two of things I didn't mention in the video, because for some reason I didn't have that page of notes with me.

1. Aunt May. I thought it was interesting to have a younger Aunt May, as it always seemed a little odd that a teenager would have such an elderly aunt (not saying it's not possible, of course). There was a bit of a flirting interaction with Tony Stark that could set up some possible comedic situations in further films, and was a nice moment of levity in the movie. I appreciated the moment of seeming self-awareness the film had when Tony called out the fact that this Aunt May is young and attractive. I'm already looking forward to Spider-Man Homecoming, so it will be nice to see more then.

2. A big thing that I didn't touch on was the characterization of Captain America. I talked about the performance of Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, but not of Chris Evans as Cap. Shame on me, I know. I loved how the character was realized, as has been realized, but especially in this film and Winter Soldier. While he may have the costume, the costume is not what makes Steve Rogers into Captain America (as we have seen throughout the run of the character). What I like is that it is a distinct, yet subtle change that distinguishes the two. It's a small shift of demeanor, a subtle change in voice and tone that separates the two. He can be Steve while in costume and Cap out of it, as while they are one in the same, they are distinct. There is a divide between the sweet, shy guy from Brooklyn and the authoritative hero that was born in a WWII lab, much as they overlap. That was an excellent choice to make, it gives him a humanity and a compelling character that many (myself included) never really saw up until now. So, good on you guys for making one of the most bland, boy-scout heroes into one of the best MCU characters ever. Well done.     

No comments:

Post a Comment