Tuesday 24 May 2016

A Reflection on the Upcoming Ghostbusters Film Part 2


Good evening everyone. I promised a while back, and again in my Captain America: Civil War video, that I would do a follow-up to my Ghostbusters 2016 post. Well, a second trailer has dropped, and I thought it was high time to wade back into that mess and make something from it.

And with that, let me share with you my thoughts on Ghostbusters 2016:



I found this graphic, and it more accurately and succinctly sums up my thoughts on this movie that five pages of written text can. The first Ghostbusters movie came out a couple of years before I was born, so there has never been a time in my life when the franchise wasn't part of the public consciousness. In fact, my first exposure to the property that I actually remember wasn't the films, but the animated Real Ghostbusters TV show.


Fun fact: one of my favorite authors wrote a couple of episodes of this show.

There's been a lot of hate, a lot of vitriol, and a lot of straight-up bullshit that has come out of the reaction to this film's release. And it isn't even being released in theaters until July. It's become ridiculous. I refuse to lambaste a movie I haven't even see yet on the strength of two trailers, the second of which was actually head and shoulders above the first. And despite the fact, that as I already have said, there's never been a time for me when there hasn't been Ghostbusters, I just don't see the franchise as the sacred cow that other seem to. Do I think it should have been put to rest with the death of Harold Ramis? Probably, but the deaths of Michael Crichton, Stan Winston, and Richard Attenborough didn't stop the making and release of Jurassic World. And it isn't as if this is the first questionable-looking remake/reboot that's being made. There have been a great many, and I doubt this will be the worst one out there (Robocop, Total Recall, etc. come to mind as recent examples. Also Terminator Genisys). In fact, I can say I'm not a fan of the direction of the reboot Star Trek movies. They really don't capture the feeling of the franchise for me as someone who grew up watching the original runs of the shows from Next Generation onward, and the Original Series in reruns. But I'm also not going to downvote videos about it, flag comments that are even slightly positive, and make threats and general assholery on the Internet about it. Because I recognize that other people enjoy it. I'm even willing to give the upcoming Dark Tower movie a chance, and that is a film I'm not sure should even be made. But that's what we should be doing. We should also give the film a chance to prove us wrong before we tear it to shreds in some kind of fandom frenzy. We're better than this, people.

So those are my thoughts, and I stand by them. Check back very soon for a review of X-Men: Apocalypse. Probably around Monday-Tuesday, as we'll be out of town over the weekend when we see it. 

Until next time,
Late Nite Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment